Pages

Monday 31 December 2018

Flax Weaving | Activity 1 (Day 2) - Summer Learning Journey | WEEK 2

This was Activity number 1 for Day 2 of Week 2 under the Summer Learning Journey. For this activity I had to watch a video of a women weaving a fish out of flax and think about if I would ever do flax weaving and why or why not. I have tried this weaving a long time ago but used paper instead. I would try weaving with flax because I am Tongan and in Tonga flax weaving is a common activity and representative. By doing this I can show my nationality in myself and also have fun by creating different things with the flax.

Flax weaving video - Click me!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Victoria,

    Thanks for sharing your blog post about flax-weaving. I sure would love to start flax-weaving. Yes I would like to start doing this. because it is something traditional that Tonga's do. I love the image it looks awesome and clear. Just like you I've done it with paper, but not with leaves. Would your siblings like to try it?

    Nice Work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello again Victoria, it's Billy here from the Summer Learning Journey team. Congratulations on working really hard this summer and completing the entire lot of activities so quickly! It's super impressive. I also love the way you have been commenting on other children's blog posts and supporting their learning. Well done!

    Thank you for sharing your thoughts on whether or not you might like to give flax weaving a go. It's wonderful to read that you are so open minded and keen to become involved in a cultural tradition. What sort of things would you like to make out of flax weaving? I love those giant, woven mats. They're terrific for spending the day relaxing at the park or at the beach.

    Thanks, Billy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Victoria,
    Well done on finishing this Summer Learning Journey activity. I think you have done a good job with this. If you ever tried to make something out of flax, what would you make? I would try to make a basket or a mat. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Greetings Victoria,

    Nice job, I really like how you choose to weave. I choose not to weave because it is confusing and hard to weave. I really like how you explained why you choose to weave. I also like how you said your Tongan and Tongan can weave.

    What have you weaved?

    Joshua

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.