Pages

Tuesday 18 December 2018

Plant Math | Activity 3 (Day 2) - Summer Learning Journey


This was the final activity for Day 2 for activity 3 of the Summer Learning Journey. For this we took a look at cacti and how they live on 3ml of water everyday to stay alive. We had to imagine having our own cactus and how much ml it would be to feed for a whole year, and how we work it out. To do this I began with the start of 3ml. Then I researched how many days there were in a year, and I came to find it was 356. Multiplying these two answers I came up with my answer, 1068. To show my working out, I first multiplied 300 by 3 because 3 stands for 2ml, but which is 900. Then 3 x 50 which is 150, and lastly 3 x 6 which is 18. Adding 900 and 150 gave me 1050, then adding 18 gave me my answer of 1068.

4 comments:

  1. Malo E Lelei Victoria,

    What an outstanding blog post from you. Thanks for sharing your learning about your plant math. Your math's thinking is amazing. That is all I can describe it as. The formula that you have used it amazing. The image that you have is outstanding and clear, but remember to attribute it.

    Nice One!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Malo E Lelei Victoria,

    It is great to see that you've explained the activity in your own words and have also written down your strategy. It is always a great idea to physically write down how you have solved the maths problem so that you can come back to it if you've got the incorrect answer.

    I like how you have thought about the different place values to come up with your strategy (such as number '3' actually means '300'!). However you have made a small mistake - there are 365 days in a year not 356! I know it could get confusing sometimes but you've already figured out how to work out the answer so have a go at it again!

    I'm sure you'll be able to find the correct answer.

    Talk soon,
    Susie :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Victoria,
    Well done on finishing this activity. You worked out the problem well but like Susie said, you got slightly confused on the number of days in a year. Instead of 356 days it should be 365. Anyway, keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Victoria,
    Thanks for sharing what you have learned. Great thinking. I really like how you solved your own answer. I also like how you explained what strategy you have used and how to use it to make it the answer.

    Was this activity hard and difficult?

    Joshua

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.